Saturday, March 19, 2011

Horror films

I love horror flicks - always have.  I think the original Psycho is the best horror movie ever put to film.  When I was in my teens, I loved the slasher movies -the gorier, the better!  (Anything with Jamie Lee Curtis was excellent - the original Halloween ranks almost right up there with Psycho in my book!)  And I'll be the first one to admit, I saw a lot of B- horror films back then, and loved them all!  (If you haven't seen Happy Birthday to Me....it's a must for B-film lovers!)  They were campy and gross and had marginal story lines.  Here's my gripe ( you had to know one was coming - this is MY blog)...with a few exceptions, horror movies today suck.  And it's not just that I'm older and prefer a more cerebral thriller, and it's not just that they are all gore now.....it's due to the fact that for half of the movie, you end up watching a totally black screen and hear screaming.  I don't want to watch a black screen and not know what's going on....that's not scary, it's annoying.  Screaming is not scary on it's own....I want to know what they're screaming about!!  I've had people tell me that they do that so you use your imagination and conjure up whatever horrible things you might think are going on .  Um...NO!  I have a very vivid imagination and can do that on my own....I'm watching a horror flick to see what someone else's twisted imagination can think up!

I will give some credit...although these are not really recent...they brought back the feeling of scary movies I've seen and enjoyed.  Saw (the first one) got to me, Scream (also the first one) - not so much the whole movie, but that first scene with Drew Barrymore...amazing, Drag Me to Hell....shockingly scary scenes in the beginning of the film and some classic camp later on....all good horror films with no black-screen-screaming-I don't-know-what's-going-on "scenes"!  Another one I liked was The Happening, although many critics have panned it.  I loved the creepy factor in this movie!  It reminded me of early Stephen King.  (Whom I forgot to mention - The Shining....right up there at the top of the list with Psycho!)  I want good horror movies back!  Not just gore, no black screen with a screaming soundtrack.....I want horror movies that make me afraid to fall asleep at night!!!

1 comment:

  1. Are we even related at all???!!! OMG! the only movie I WON'T see is a horror show. Honest, I cannot name even 1 horror movie that I've ever seen.
    Have you seen The Langoliers? I only HEARD it, and it was too much for me! It was in the days that we had a conversion van; the boys (all 3!)would sit in the back and watch movies while I drove (It's ok, I got car sick back there, anyway.) So, I heard the movie while I was driving. Ugghhh! "Please, Gavin, don't you want to put on Forrest Gump again??!!!"

    ReplyDelete